Wednesday 26 June 2013

Theory on Origin of name REYNISH

This was sent by Nick REYNISH in June 2013
I have no definitive answer.
One source claims that we are descended from the Rheni tribe in what is now Germany - a tough warrior tribe, some say.  We thus gave our name to the Rhenish area (and therefore Rhenish wine, see below) and indeed the Rhine itself.
My own research suggests that this is back to front.  The name "rhine" is rooted -  via Old English, Dutch, German, Celtic, Frankish etc - in an old Indo-European word meaning "to flow" or "to run", i.e. an apt name for a river.  I don't think there was a single Rheni tribe - I think the name refers to a number of tribes who lived in that area.
For example -
...Philipp Clüver's first work, in 1611, concerned the lower reaches of the Rhine and its tribal inhabitants in Roman times (Commentarius de tribus Rheni alveis, et ostiis; item.) 
In short, we came from the Rheinland area famous inter alia for Rhenish wine (also rhenish bricks, rhenish style of bookbinding, etc)  There are references throughout literature, including:

The Merchant of Venice, Act I Scene 1

      NERISSA. How like you the young German, the Duke of Saxony's nephew?       
       PORTIA. Very vilely in the morning when he is sober; and most vilely in the afternoon when he is drunk. When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast. An the worst fall that ever fell, I hope I
shall make shift to go without him.    
           NERISSA. If he should offer to choose, and choose the right
casket,you should refuse to perform your father's will, if you should
refuse to accept him.   
       PORTIA. Therefore, for fear of the worst, I pray thee set a deep glass of Rhenish wine on the contrary casket; for if the devil be within and that temptation without, I know he will choose it. I will do anything, Nerissa, ere I will be married to a sponge.

 Best wishes........Nick Reynish



No comments:

Post a Comment